A New Planet
Astronomers believe they have discovered a new planet orbiting 51 Pegasi, located 42 light-years from Earth. The original announcement was made by Michel Mayor and Didier Queloz of Geneva Observatory two weeks ago, and has been confirmed by others. To create the wobble obsereved in the Pegasus 51 spectrum, a planet must be near by.
- Period of spectral shift in Pegasi 51 = 4.2 days
- Orbital Radius of Planet = 7 million km
- Required mass of planet = 1/2 mass of Jupiter
- Temperature of Planet = 1000° Celsius
- Planet Composition = iron and rock
This is not the first planet to be observed, and will probably not be the last. Will you be the next one to discover a planet.
Referenced from: http://www.skypub.com/news/oct2095.html#top
For more information contact Sky Publishing Corp., P.O. Box 9111, Belmont, MA 02178-9111, USA.